Onions and onion powder are among the most famous and oldest used agricultural plants and crops on earth, It was first used by the pharaohs.
In ancient Egypt, They revered onions. They use it in burial rituals.
Onions have many health benefits, including; reducing obesity, heart disease and cancer. Being rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
The bulb contains chemicals that reduce inflammation, and lung stenosis in people with asthma, and cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
The bulb can be integrated into simple diets, It can also be placed in ordinary food in many simple ways.
Nutrients in onions
The bulb is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium and folate. In addition Onions are a low-calorie way to add flavor to food.
The bulb contains phytochemicals that can affect the vital processes of the body.
Research suggests that these substances may improve immunity and reduce the risk of cancer by preventing inflammation and damage to cells and DNA.
And to find out the nutrients in onions per 100 grams of onions on:
Health Benefits of the Onion
- Onions promote heart health through antioxidants and compounds that fight inflammation, reduce triglycerides, and lower cholesterol levels.
- Research indicates the positive effect of the bulb on the skin, alone or with other ingredients, Applying it to the skin for 10 weeks treats scars.
- Research shows that applying onion juice to the scalp for 8 weeks may improve hair growth for those suffering from alopecia.
- Eat 20 grams of onions with a diet, Reduces blood sugar in people with diabetes.
- Taking the bulb for 6 weeks reduces systolic blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
- Eating an onion for 12 weeks reduces body weight by a small percentage in overweight or obese people.
- Eating an onion reduces the risk of prostate cancer.
- Improve the shape of stretch marks that appear in the body.
- It treats many diseases such as asthma, bronchitis, disturbed stomach, fever, colds, coughs, wounds, and loss of appetite.
Side effects and safety
The bulb is very safe when taken orally in reasonable quantities and is habitually found in food.
It can be said that taking up to 400 mg of onion extract for 6 weeks is safe.
However, Side effects of excessive onion intake include skin irritation or eczema and bloating stomach.
Special precautions and warnings against eating onions
- Bleeding disorder: Onions may slow blood clotting, It is recommended after taking it if you have a bleeding disorder.
- People who are allergic to celery may be allergic to onions. It should not be used in medicinal amounts if you suffer from this allergy.
- Diabetes: Onions may reduce blood sugar. If you suffer from diabetes and used onions in medicinal quantities, Check your blood sugar carefully.
Onion as an antibiotic
Before the advent of antibiotics 1940, Bacterial infections were treated with onions, Onions were used to treat pneumonia.
Moreover, It can be used to extract “sputum from the lungs and speed up the healing process.
It should be noted that the bulb is a good source of vitamin C and the mineral manganese, They are two “traditional” nutrients that play a key role in supporting antioxidants in the body.
Vitamin C helps detoxify the body function properly because it helps keep the mineral cofactors of those enzymes in place.
With regard to manganese, It is one of the main enzymes in mitochondria, They are important cellular components for oxygen production.
Furthermore, onions contain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, the most famous of which are flavonoid quercetin (quercetin glycosides).
Onion powder is made from dried onions, which gives it a concentrated flavor that harmonizes with many foods.
The use of onion powder when cooking offers health benefits because it contains some nutrients, But in small quantities.
Which means you can’t rely on it for your recommended daily needs.
Sodium-free salt substitute
Onion powder can be a good substitute for salt in many recipes, The sodium content does not exceed 2300 mg.
Reducing salt with onion powder when cooking can help reduce the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke.
Low in fat and calories
Using onion powder in your favorite recipes increases flavor without adding a large amount of fat and calories.
This allows you to maintain your moderate diet, This reduces the risk of many health conditions, Including heart disease and diabetes.
A teaspoon of onion powder contains approximately eight calories without fat, Allowing you to use what you want.
Onion powder provides the following nutrients:
A teaspoon of onion powder contains 24 milligrams of potassium, It is a nutrient that helps regulate blood pressure.
Potassium helps build healthy muscles, bone contraction, digestion and heartbeat, Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps.
Onion powder contains a small amount of magnesium, Up to 3 milligrams per teaspoon.
It contributes to the promotion of bone health, immunity, Muscle and nerve function and helps regulate blood sugar.
Replacing onions with powder
Onion powder can be a good substitute for the onion itself, Where a teaspoon can be considered, A good alternative to a small onion.
Add onion powder to food during the last 15 minutes of cooking, In the event that the natural recipe suggests the inclusion of onions ahead of time.
How to make onion powder
Onion powder is a thin sliced of onions that are dried, Whether through a dryer or put in the oven, for up to 6 hours.
This powder is made from thin slices of onions, Where you clean them as much as possible, Then put them in a dryer until completely dry.
Then rub the onion slices until they turn into powder, Then you store it in an airtight container.
Healthy onion-based diets
Onions are included in many diets, on top of which are salads, on top of which is the tuna salad sandwich, which consists of onions, celery, lemon juice, dill and pepper.
This meal is characterized by low calories and unhealthy fats.
Among the meals is also the cream sauce soup, which is a cold soup consisting of vegetable juice and onions, It is characterized by low calories and unhealthy fats.
Among the delicious meals are also in this framework, onion soup, tablespoon of onion powder, tablespoon of pepper.
In addition to a tablespoon of
, two teaspoons of garlic powder, and a teaspoon of basil.
This meal gives 6 calories, and 1 gram of carbohydrates.
and 2 milligrams of sodium, and 32 milligrams of potassium, In addition to phosphorus, calcium and fiber.
Food products containing onion powder
- Onion Rings Makin
- Pasta sauce with garlic and onions
- Lays with sour cream and onions
- Chips Simple With Onions